Sometimes the need to auto login to a machine will arise. Quite frequently applications will need to run as a logged on user and do not have the ability to run as a service. Auto login and Auto Application start may be the solution for you. It is also handy for VM’s, test machines or non-critical machines.
Security Tip: Be aware of the security risks involved with this setup and use an account with the least amount of privileges required to run the application.
Bring up the run dialogue box Windows Key + R and type in regedit
Note: If any of the Values do not exist they will have to be created. In this case they are all String Values. Right click on on Winlogon and select New -> String Value. Name it and double click to modify.
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Modify AutoAdminLogon string value and Enter 1 in the Value Data field
- Modify DefaultUserName string value and Enter your user name in the Value Data field
- ModifyDefaultPassword string value and Enter your user password in the Value Data field
- Restart your computer and it will auto login as the user you specified.
Note: To bypass the auto login process hold down the Shift key when you log off or just before the auto login process.